Sunday, June 1, 2008

Digital Photograph Workflow Discussion

As a digital wedding photographer I saw this article on the maltaStar.com new site. Honestly, I think the author is underestimating the need for a serious multi-disk backup system and vastly underestimating the storage requirements of a serious professional photographer. Instead of 500-1000 images a day I actually end up shooting between 2,000 and 3,000 images.

Digital dangers
maltaStar.com - Malta
Just to demonstrate my point with an example, wedding photographers today are shooting anything between 500 to sometimes over 1000 images during a single ...
See all stories on this topic


He talks about how a CD and an external hard drive are enough backups. I disagree. I suggest two external hard drives, two sets of DVDs and an online-upload backup for total off-site / off-organization, in case of a fire, major hack, or something else disastrous to other forms of storage.

Also, he fails to talk about using RAID10 or RAID5 on the main working disks, forgets to automate his backups, ect.

Good start though!

No comments: